Friday, August 17, 2007

Calgary Traffic Court

About two months ago, I received a violation ticket for not having proof of payment on the C-Train in Calgary. I had the ticket but forgot to use the machine to validate it. Anyways, i was ticketed for $150! Being a starving student, I decided to go to court to try and get it reduced or tossed out. The date the officer wrote down was for today, so I showed up with my case prepared. Here is my first experience with the Calgary Traffic Court system.

I walked into the traffic court area when it opened at 8:15am. There was already a lineup for the court room and the Justice of Peace (JOP) windows. I initially thought that there would be a reception area where we checked in before we proceed to the court room for our hearing with a JOP, but this was not the case. There is an area with windows for up to five JOP. The line for the courtroom was separate from the line for the JOP. The JOP essentially acted as pre-screener. If there was a matter that can be negotiated easily, the JOP would do it and the person would not have to go see a judge. If the person requests to go to the court room or the issue cannot be resolved with the JOP and needed to go to a judge, they were sent to the court line.

When it was my turn, I told the JOP that I would like to have the ticket reduced and/or have alternate arrangements. She then went to look for my ticket that is on file on their end. However, she couldn't find it and dismissed my ticket. I guess the officer thought I wouldn't pay the ticket because I was from BC. She stamped my ticket and off I went with $150 saved. I am not sure if it is the same in Vancouver, so perhaps someone could shed some light in the comments section? It would be good information if I ever get a violation in Vancouver *knock on wood*.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome, this is the exact info i needed, thank you

jason